The Chicken Burger
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup crimini mushrooms
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 whole wheat or gluten-free buns (or go protein style & wrap in butter lettuce leaves!)
- large handful baby spinach leaves
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup oat bran (or buckwheat for gluten-free option)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- In large pan, add 2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil and sauté the shallot, bell pepper and garlic until tender.
- Add in the mushrooms and stir for about 2 minutes or until mushrooms brown.
- Set aside and let vegetables cool.
- Next, in a large bowl, combine the chicken, vegetables, egg, oat bran, salt and pepper.
- Mix all ingredients together and form into 8 patties.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil in large pan and cook each chicken patty over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- Place burger on buns or lettuce leaves and top with tomato, avocado and spinach. Add ketchup or mustard to taste.